Author Topic: New Traeger Grill  (Read 1957 times)

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
New Traeger Grill
« on: August 30, 2014, 08:22:52 PM »
It's pretty close to end of season for many big purchase items here, so I was pleased to see a 30% discount on a Traeger Junior Elite grill at the local store. The grill and two bags of pellets (also discounted) cost $330. After running it through the break-in I grilled up some pork ribs that came out great. Tonight I roasted some chicken thighs that came out tender, juicy, and delicious. Tomorrow I'll try the 3-2-1 recipe for the baby back ribs I bought today. This may be a permanent replacement for my Green Egg that I also love dearly and which does a fantastic job with everything I cook.

Anyone got any suggestions for recipes for pellet grills? Dunno how it's done but I'd like to smoke some cheese, and experiment with fish other than salmon.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:41:59 PM by dp »

snarl

• View Profile
Re: New Traeger Grill
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:05:24 AM »
It's pretty close to end of season for many big purchase items here, so I was pleased to see a 30% discount on a Traeger Junior Elite grill at the local store. The grill and two bags of pellets (also discounted) cost $330. After running it through the break-in I grilled up some pork ribs that came out great. Tonight I roasted some chicken thighs that came out tender, juicy, and delicious. Tomorrow I'll try the 3-2-1 recipe for the baby back ribs I bought today. This may be a permanent replacement for my Green Egg that I also love dearly and which does a fantastic job with everything I cook.

Anyone got any suggestions for recipes for pellet grills? Dunno how it's done but I'd like to smoke some cheese, and experiment with fish other than salmon.

This is my go to guy:  http://amazingribs.com/index.html   There are also two local sources that smoke cheese and fish, I'll ask them Tues.
Nice score by th' way <clink>.

Snarl

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:05:18 AM »
That's a pretty informative site - lots of ideas there. Bumped into a problem yesterday with the baby back ribs project. Had to change the water pump on the Dodge pickemup truck and ran out of time. Dashed to the store and bought a crossrib roast and sliced off a chunk of steak-sized beef and smoked it at low heat. Was out of rub so had to make up a batch real quick. That was a tasty piece of cheap beef though not the most tender cut. Later today I'm going to smoke the ribs and the rest of the crossrib roast. I've been using mesquite so far since that bag was already open but today I'll switch over to apple wood. It's all Traeger pellets, so it is probably chip board with flavored oil, but it still tastes fine. Got to find a local source for non-Traeger pellets.

snarl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
Smokin' cheese.  Spoke with Christy at our butchers, she does the smokin' stuff.  Two things are important, you gotta babysit the cheese while it's being smoked and you have to have enough coldbeer to babysit it.  It can take a really long day depending on the desired flavor.  Sometimes they have to use ice under the cheese if it's too hot, don't wantcher cheese to melt.  She mainly uses Tillamook cheese and smokes it with Alder in a traditional Skokomish tribal smoke house environment. 

If done right, th' smoke flavor will be evident all th' way through th' cheese even though it may only look like a 1/4" permeated smoke ring.  She also said "don't be afraid to experiment".  I guess that's how some of their best shit happened.  They have a killer new jalapeno brat that was a peanut butter and jelly kinda accident  ; )

Th' other kinds of fish besides Salmon smoking query netted a long pause of silence.  Personally, I'd try pan fish in th' same batch as th' cheese and leave th' skins and tails on.  Prolly come off like a banana peel when it's done.  Didja find a nice fishin' hole yet?

Snarl

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
Did something new for me this morning. Tossed a package of center cut bacon into the Traeger and cooked it up with Pecan pellets. Never had it that way and I may never have it any other way again :)

Thin sliced up the cross rib roast I cooked up before we took our last trip to Bellevue. Nancy made up some sandwiches on rye bread with swiss cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes and holy crap what a great sandwich that was.

Next to try is chicken, game hens, and salmon.

snarl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:00 AM »
YMMV, slather a thin layer of http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/  with a touch of real local honey
on th' bacon about 1/2 way before done.   Jeanne doesn't eat bacon anymore so now I gotta
eat hers too.  Yum!

Sounds like that Treager found a good home...

Snarl

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
After getting home from our last trip to Bellevue Nancy's brother and SIL were here to welcome us. They stayed about a week which gave me plenty of opportunity to pop things on the barby. I did a whole chicken that might be the best chicken ever. Brined it for half a day before putting on a home-made rub then smoked/roasted it for close to two hours. Next morning I put some sausages into the smoker for half an hour. Did some rib eye steaks that evening. Nothing comes out of that thing that doesn't quickly disappear.

It was 37ยบ over night here - time to bring in the coffee trees. Some deer have been munching on the leaves and a few cherries are missing, so the timing is good. The apple harvest is in full swing so their usual free meals are disappearing. Might have to bring in the late tomatoes, too. There's enough grapes out back to feed a herd. Will be pruning them back this fall to get them back under control. They're sweet as candy.