Author Topic: The adventure begins  (Read 3059 times)

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
The adventure begins
« on: February 15, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
Having selected a bike ('99 FXR2 found on Ebay), I punched down the Buy it now button and started the wheels in motion. The dealer sent some Esign links to paperwork and after correcting a minor error, I esigned them. Manny is the business guy, and Mike Langley is the sales guy - both are easy to work with.

Next its off to the bank to wire the funds to Texas and that went well. Researching the shippers turned up some surprises - one is not servicing the west coast or the mountain states, I presume because of weather. Another has an odd zone + fuel surcharge, etc. settle on HaulBikes.com, agree on a price and arrange for the pickup and delivery. Chris at HaulBikes is my contact and she's a good communicator. Called the insurance company to get it covered starting Feb 14. Nothing to do now but wait. Oh - I need to make a hole for it in the garage. So far, so good.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:54:24 AM by dp »

grumble

• View Profile
Re: The adventure begins
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Having selected a bike ('99 FXR2 found on Ebay), I punched down the Buy it now button and started the wheels in motion. The dealer sent some Esign links to paperwork and after correcting a minor error, I esigned them. Manny is the business guy, and Mike Langley is the sales guy - both are easy to work with.

Gotta love the E-Sign stuff.  Lotsa folks seem to be pretty happy with Dream Machines here in Dallas - I'm sure the one in Austin is just as reputable.
Enjoy her when she arrives.

GR
BS #234

Arie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34:46 PM »
Sweet looking ride there dp.
Don't have too much fun with it.  ;D

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »
I'm getting into a Jonesing mode for this :) The weather here is way too crappy to ride in but still, I could at least be dusting it off. I think the last time I was on a bike was in 2010 or so when I rode my RK to S.N.I.F.F. That's a long time between bugs in the teeth.

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 09:02:20 PM »

Gotta love the E-Sign stuff.

That was my first esign experience. I used to support it when I worked in IT but never from a customer perspective. It worked pretty well. Better for the shipping than the dealer paper because I could edit important parts of the shipping forms, but the dealer was responsive and fixed a munged phone number and the signing went flawlessly.

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
Feb 21 - The bike was picked up by the shippers and it is headed to… Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania? Why? :) They’re taking it there instead of Seattle so they can determine the best truck to put it on to take it to Seattle. Naturally I’m thinking the truck it is on now is the best truck for that, but I’m an IT guy, not a shipper.

Here’s a photo of it being loaded on the “Long Way Home Hauler” :) Photo by Mike "Likebike" Langley of Dream Machines of Austin and Mike's bidness card.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:19:13 PM by dp »

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Just got the latest update. The driver, truck, and bike arrived safely in York, PA and it's now awaiting driver assignment for the next leg.

Here's a route map. It's racking up a lot of miles!

http://binged.it/1lm1CQM

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
So the bike arrived, it started reluctantly, and I took the long way to the gas station to fill it up. It has suffered a small amount of neglect:

Speedo doesn't work - the cable snapped off near the drive hub and is rusted tight in the drive. Soaking now in liquid wrench. Good thing, too, because some wiring was pinched under the instrument cluster. That's fixed. The speedo itself works fine and is quiet - the loose remains of the cable were pulled out by a previous owner. Prolly not as low milage as advertised.

Pulled the front pads to have a look and that's all ok. The short shot exhaust is optimized for noise and will have to go. Will need everything from the exhaust port to the muffler hangers and all clamps between. I'm going to have to change the jets in the CV carb - the air here in Washington is sooo pure and clean that you have to add +5 to all jets and grind 1/8" off the needle to compensate for all that missing oxygen the other 49 states don't provide.  ;D. It also acts like the timing is retarded so I'll dig into that, too. Hard to say exactly because of the short shots and no cross-over, so it sounds a bit odd to me. Plugs are showing some salt and pepper.

The steering head is smooth but I'm going to service it anyway. Had it on the lift today and the wheel bearings are good. No leaks or drips which probably means I'd better check the fluids before I start it again.

No windshield - not even the little plastic patch that they offered when new. The dealer here has a complete kit in stock so I'll check it for fit. It's from an early Dyna. Close but no stogie till the fat lady sings. The seat was declared a disaster area by BigRed and will need replacing. I'm ok with that cuz it really does suck. It either spent a lot of time at the car wash or out in the Missouri rain because there's a lot of rusty nuts and bolts. Might need a weekend in TL's garage. The rubber is good but I'm going to check the dates to see how old it is. Air pressure is solid. The front spoke wheel may have to go as I don't like tube tires. It is a good looking wheel, though.

Finally - was looking in the Drag Specialties fat book at saddle bag hardware and found something I like that I can build bags around. They have a lot of bags, too, but nothing that jumps off the PDF at me. I also want to make some holsters so some book matched splits or whole hides may serve all the purposes. Road kill deer hide is plentiful where I'm moving :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:41:53 PM by dp »

kickstart

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
sounds great.
Have fun
hope to see it at RE's in oct

Omar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 09:37:24 PM »
dp said:
So the bike arrived, it started reluctantly, and I took the long way to the gas station to fill it up. It has suffered a small amount of neglect:
etc....

Sounds like you're having as much fun getting it in shape as you'll have riding it. Hope to see you guys in May.

Omar

dp

• View Profile
    • Metal Working at Home
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 10:35:46 PM »
I fired it up yesterday and blasted over to the local dealer. He had a complete NOS factory windshield kit for it - same, actually, as the current Sportster line uses except for a shorter windscreen. One big $ka-ching later and it's on the bike. Snaps right off with no remnants left behind. Nancy was driving behind and observed the rear tire is mis-aligned - something I noticed while riding. The ass end walks into right turns.

I've gotten a lot of boxes packed and some old woodworking lumber out of the garage so I think tomorrow I'll put it on the rack again and do a 3000 mile service on it, and also check the timing. Got to find some pencils. The tires born-on date is 2011 and they have lots of tread, like new, in fact, so I'm happy with that.

We definitely will be in Oroville for the May ride-in. There's some new info on the activities at http://TheVirtualBarAndGrill.com/?p=316